Thursday, January 10, 2008

Local TV News Analysis KSDK, Channel-5

I missed the last TV analysis assignment because I couldn’t watch the news and couldn’t figure out how to watch it online. But today I had a word with Davina and she told me how to do this assignment. In the news at 10 of KSDK channel-5, the very first thing that I noticed was that there was only one male anchor during the whole newscast, which was a little surprising to me. The anchor, Mike Bush started the newscast and he was wearing a gray suit, with a white shirt and a bluish tie with stripes in it.
The very first reporter was Jasmine Huda and she was covering a story from Calhoun County, Illinois about the burglary in schools. She did a stand up right outside the school building. The second reporter was Steve Handleman covering the story of the elections for the President. His stand up was right outside the Presidential resident, the White House. The third reporter was Jeff Small and he reported about the decision updates of 2008. I am not really sure about his stand up, because he was reporting from the studio.
The first story was about the robbery in schools of Calhoun County. Some burglars broke into the school building through the windows and made their way to the hallway and then some of the offices and took off with electronics, money and even medicines. The reporter Jasmine Huda interviewed the sheriff, an elementary school kid, and a parent as well. There were a lot of live shots like the broken window, busted doorframes, woodchips, school building, etc.
The second story that I remember was about the armed robbery in St. Charles including a shooting by an officer. A 28 year old man, William Steele was suspected of robbery after breaking into a house to hide-in. He was shot by an officer and died in the hospital.
The third story was about Megan Meier’s case, who was a teenager and committed suicide after the whole Myspace Hoax. Her mother talked about her daughter’s case on the morning show.
My overall impression of this newscast was good. I think that KSDK channel-5 is very credible because they covered good stories; reporters explained them really well with perfect live shots, and interviews. Also, they have an easy access to the video’s of all top stories on their website. I think I liked it and yes I’ll watch this station again.

No comments: