Monday, January 14, 2008

Local TV Analysis

The first thing that I noticed about today’s newscast on KTVI, channel 2 was the anchor Mandy Murphy’s shirt. She was wearing a blue silk blouse/top which did not seemed like a suit or very formal because I always try to note the clothes of female anchors. But I guess it looked fine. The other anchor was Dan Grey. He was wearing a navy bluish suit with a white stripped under shirt and a yellow tie. It just looked kind of cheesy to me for his age, or may be I’m not used to it yet. Chris ReGnier was the first reporter and he did a stand up outside the school building of the kid who died in a car accident. There were a lot of live shots including the grandmother of the kid, classmates of the kid, location where the accident happened, etc.
The very first story that I remember was about a thirteen year old kid named Brendon Wiles, who died in a car accident. It was said that he was not skateboarding at the time he was hit by the car. The second story was about the bars on main street, St. Charles. A bill was proposed to curb the rowdiness on the city’s historic main street. It also included banning dancing on tables, underage drinking, cussing. The third story was about the new safety guidelines on My space after Megan Meiers case. Her mother says that it’s not enough. She said that it’s just a baby step and they need to take a bigger leap.
My overall impression of the newscast was that they did a good job especially covering the story of Brendon Wiles. I really liked the package and I felt as if it did touch my heart and that’s what an anchors job is. I feel they did a good job. I liked Dan’s pacing better than Mandy. He knew what he was talking about and Mandy seemed just all right. I think the news team is credible because they showed good interviews and very good B-rolls which explains the true story. I’ll definitely watch this station again.

1 comment:

haley said...

i am excited about our field trip today i hope you are too!